Bishop’s Gate Hotel Interior. Inner City Trust.
Once on the Heritage at Risk Register Northern Ireland (HARNI), Bishops Gate Hotel is now a high-quality Boutique Hotel with a strong connection to the local community.
The late 19th century B+ listed building, formerly known as the Northern Counties Club was left vacant from 2006, sinking into a state of dereliction which led to its placement on the HARNI.
In 2013 Inner City Building Preservation Trust were awarded funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund (then Heritage Lottery Fund) to conserve and refurbish the building into a four-star boutique hotel which was opened in 2016.
A strong emotional attachment has been maintained with many customers returning to the Hotel and celebrating family occasions as a direct result of the history of the building.
Contribution to local Economy from 2016-2022 Key Stats
- The Hotel as welcomed 89000 overnight guests with 38% from outside N Ireland
- Conversion of guests that dine in one of the hotel restaurants sits at 44%
- 56% of guest are dining in other Restaurants and Bars throughout the City with an estimated spend of £750k per annum
- Current Employee numbers are 88 with additional jobs created in Craft Village of 18 well exceeding projects target of 48 with payroll for hotel since opening in 2016 injecting £7.8 million into local economy
- By end of 2022 the Hotel will have generated £19 million into local economy and made a tax contribution to exchequer of over £ 4 million
- Local Food and Beverage suppliers have benefited by £4.4 million in incremental spend into economy with non food and beverage related suppliers additional spends of £1.5 million
- The Hotel has worked in cooperation with schools across the City in providing work experience for young people and talks for students who are interested in joining the Hospitality sector
- The Hotel has worked with North West Regional College and Foyle Language School in creating work placements
- The Hotel has played a key role in the formation of HATS a collaborative skills network for N Ireland that will work in driving skills from 2019 to 2022
- The hotel continues to organise tours to raise awareness and the importance of our Built Heritage for schools, specialist groups and various disciplines
- The Hotel continues to Rank number 1 in Trip advisor Rankings for N Ireland for 7 consecutive years as well as 5 years in Top 10 in UK and has been awarded AA Hotel of the Year in 2018 and Tourism NI Hotel of the year in 2019 and 2022